Posts for category: Dental Procedures
The dental crown is a mainstay of modern dentistry. Completely restoring a damaged or misshapen tooth, a crown (or "cap"), can breathe new life into a smile, preventing extraction and improving the appearance above the gum line. Plus, today's dental crowns can look totally natural, being made from durable porcelain that is custom matched to your surrounding teeth. In Bothell, WA Dr. Kimberly Chapman recommends these wonderful restorations for many dental issues. Learn here if crowns may be right for you.
Why a crown?
You may receive a dental crown to counter a variety of oral health problems. One of the most common is extensive dental decay, or to protect a tooth after a root canal procedure.
A perfectly-shaped crown covers the remaining healthy portions that are above the gum line, blends in with neighboring teeth, and allows a patient to look, eat, and speak normally. In fact, modern porcelain crowns can even have color variations placed in them, just as natural teeth do.
Placing a crown
In addition, Dr. Chapman advises crown placement if you need root canal therapy (which removes diseased pulp and seals the tooth) or if you receive a dental implant. This extraordinary tooth replacement features a porcelain crown as its lifelike finishing touch.
After a complete oral exam and X-rays, Dr. Chapman will confirm that a crown is appropriate. Sometimes just a filling is needed, but if it is a crown that you need, Dr. Chapman excels at placing these. Expect a local anesthetic to make you and your tooth comfortable as the dentist removes the damaged enamel and shapes the tooth.
Additionally, Dr. Chapman takes precise oral impressions--negative imprints of the tooth. These are sent to a modern dental laboratory where a highly-skilled technician crafts crowns from either full porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, or full gold depending on where the crown will be placed and what you have chosen.
At your next appointment, your dentist places the crown with a permanent cement. This cement keeps the crown in place, and helps the crown to flex when you bite and chew, avoiding crown fracture.
Also, Dr. Chapman will tell you how to care for your crown: good flossing and brushing extend crown life and appearance as do professional cleanings and check-ups at your dental office. If you grind or clench your teeth, she may advise wearing a night-time bite guard.
If you are concerned about the condition and longevity of a tooth, ask Dr. Chapman about a crown. You'll be pleased with her expertise and compassionate manner. She'll answer your questions and help you make a decision on the best treatment for your tooth. Call the office team today for an appointment: (425) 488-6120.
Family Dentist Dr. Kimberly A. Chapman is Ready To Improve Your Smile as Soon as You Are!
Having a great looking smile is important. The question is, do you feel that you have a great looking smile or do you think it could use a little help and care? If you have small defects in your teeth like chips, cracks, or other signs of damage, you should consider dental bonding! Read below to learn how bonding can help your smile, and call family dentist Dr. Kimberly Chapman of Bothell, Washington if you are interested in undergoing the procedure.
What Is Bonding?
Bonding uses a material known as composite liquid resin. Composite can be matched to the color of your teeth, allowing a virtually invisible tooth restoration. Since it starts out as a liquid, it can also be sculpted to match the natural contours of your teeth, blending seamlessly with your smile. After the liquid composite is applied to your teeth, it’s hardened with an ultraviolet light. The result is a strong, virtually invisible restorative treatment.
Bonding is a popular cosmetic dentistry service chosen by many people to enhance their smiles. The procedure has many advantages including:
- Ease of Treatment: Many procedures don’t require any anesthetic
- Quick Results: Most procedures can be completed in one appointment
- Natural Appearance: The composite is matched to your unique smile
If you want to change the color, shape, and other issues with your teeth, bonding can help. Bonding can give you the smile you deserve by restoring your teeth and renewing your smile. Consider bonding to fix problems such as:
- Excessive wear and erosion due to aging
- Chipping and cracking due to bad habits
- Fracture lines and breaks due to trauma
- Discolorations and blotches due to medications
- Slight tooth overlap and tooth rotation
- Small gaps and uneven spaces between teeth
Interested? Call Our Bothell Office Today!
If your smile is suffering from aesthetic issues, it’s time to remake your smile with bonding. A great smile can give you back your self-esteem and self-confidence, and bonding can achieve this quickly and easily. To find out more about how bonding can help your smile, call family dentist Dr. Kimberly Chapman in Bothell, Washington today at (425) 488-6120.
How a dental crown from your dentist in Bothell can rebuild your smile
If you have a damaged smile due to broken or badly decayed teeth, dental crowns are often the best option to repair and rebuild your smile. So, how do you know if you need dental crowns? Dr. Kimberly Chapman in Bothell, WA, wants to help answer that question.
There are a few signs that dental crowns are the choice to make. Dental crowns are used when you have teeth that are:
- Badly damaged from an accident or injury
- Badly damaged from severe, deep decay
- Weakened from large, bulky, old metal fillings
- Chipped or eroded from aging and dental stress
Dental crowns are also the best choice for teeth that have had a root canal. That’s because during a root canal, the blood supply and nerves are removed, which makes the tooth brittle and more prone to breakage. A dental crown protects the tooth from breaking due to everyday wear-and-tear.
So what makes a dental crown the best choice? A dental crown actually strengthens your tooth by holding the tooth together. The crown covers the entire surface of your tooth above the gumline, creating one solid surface. Think of it like a suit of armor for your tooth! When you bite down on a dental crown, the biting stress is spread out evenly over the entire tooth, protecting it from breakage.
Modern dental crown materials are very strong, and also cosmetically beautiful. You can choose from:
- Full porcelain, which is the most cosmetically beautiful, natural-looking crown material which matches your other teeth,
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal, which has a strong metal underlay and beautiful porcelain outer shell which also matches your other teeth,
- Full gold, which is best for back teeth not showing,. These may be severely shortened due to being worn down, and have inadequate space for porcelain. Full gold crowns will never chip or crack, as the gold is malleable and can deform slightly under high forces.
If you are wondering if dental crowns are right for you, it’s time to consult with an expert. It’s time to call Dr. Chapman in Bothell, WA, voted one of Seattle’s top dentists in 2018, for the 11th year in a row! Get started rebuilding your smile with dental crowns by calling today!
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are a procedure that can restore your smile by integrating into your jawbone. Your dentist in Bothell, WA, Dr. Kimberly Chapman, is here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss may lead to serious issues like bone deterioration, teeth drifting and shifting, and your bite changing. When people are missing teeth, their face does not have the support it needs, which prematurely ages their appearance. Missing teeth also causes your chewing efficiency to be compromised and results in uneven forces being placed on other teeth, which can make them more likely to crack or fracture.
The dental implant procedure consists of the following:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the necessary area
- Your doctor inserts a titanium post (a biocompatible material that isn't rejected by the body's tissue) in your jawbone. This is like a very small screw.
- The doctor surgically closes the area and allows it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course (osseointegration is when the bone grows around the implant and locks it into your jawbone).
- When you return 3 to 6 months later, your Bothell dentist will re-open an area about the size of a match head, insert an abutment, and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Implants have a high success rate. You will never get a cavity on an implant.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Kimberly Chapman can help you out. Call her office, located in Bothell, WA, at (425) 488-6120 to make an appoint today!
Getting braces can be a difficult decision to make—especially when you’re an adult. You have to make a commitment to living with metal braces for several years. If you prefer to straighten your smile discreetly, learn more about Invisalign. It is a revolutionary orthodontic solution available from Bothell, WA, dentist, Dr. Kimberly Chapman that has helped countless patients realign their teeth.
When Everyone Knows You Have Braces...
There is no mistaking someone who has metal braces—it’s the first thing people usually notice when you meet. The appliance completely changes the way you look when you smile, which can be particularly challenging when you’re older. You also have to change your life around a bit when you have braces, including the types of food you eat and how you brush your teeth. It’s no wonder that many patients who have crowded, crooked, or gapped teeth prefer a more discreet option.
The More Discreet Orthodontic Choice
What if you could get all the benefits of wearing metal braces, without the discomfort? That may be possible when you talk to your Bothell, WA dentist about Invisalign for your orthodontic treatment. With Invisalign, you wear a removable lightweight polyurethane tray instead of having non-removable brackets attached to each of your teeth. For many patients, it is “the clear choice” when you consider the benefits as far as aesthetics and comfort.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign trays slowly move your teeth as you wear them. You must keep them on for at least 20 hours each day as part of the treatment plan. The mold of each prescribed tray is slightly different, causing the teeth to move by conforming to the shape. The process can take as little as six months depending on your particular alignment issues. Just visit the dentist every two weeks to receive your new trays.
Invisalign Can Work for You
Not every patient is an ideal candidate for Invisalign braces, but if you have minor orthodontic challenges there’s a good chance it will work for you. Ask Dr. Kimberly Chapman if she can straighten your smile discreetly with Invisalign trays. Call (425) 488-6120 today to schedule a consultation.