Posts for: July, 2018
How a dental crown from your dentist in Bothell can rebuild your smile
If you have a damaged smile due to broken or badly decayed teeth, dental crowns are often the best option to repair and rebuild your smile. So, how do you know if you need dental crowns? Dr. Kimberly Chapman in Bothell, WA, wants to help answer that question.
There are a few signs that dental crowns are the choice to make. Dental crowns are used when you have teeth that are:
- Badly damaged from an accident or injury
- Badly damaged from severe, deep decay
- Weakened from large, bulky, old metal fillings
- Chipped or eroded from aging and dental stress
Dental crowns are also the best choice for teeth that have had a root canal. That’s because during a root canal, the blood supply and nerves are removed, which makes the tooth brittle and more prone to breakage. A dental crown protects the tooth from breaking due to everyday wear-and-tear.
So what makes a dental crown the best choice? A dental crown actually strengthens your tooth by holding the tooth together. The crown covers the entire surface of your tooth above the gumline, creating one solid surface. Think of it like a suit of armor for your tooth! When you bite down on a dental crown, the biting stress is spread out evenly over the entire tooth, protecting it from breakage.
Modern dental crown materials are very strong, and also cosmetically beautiful. You can choose from:
- Full porcelain, which is the most cosmetically beautiful, natural-looking crown material which matches your other teeth,
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal, which has a strong metal underlay and beautiful porcelain outer shell which also matches your other teeth,
- Full gold, which is best for back teeth not showing,. These may be severely shortened due to being worn down, and have inadequate space for porcelain. Full gold crowns will never chip or crack, as the gold is malleable and can deform slightly under high forces.
If you are wondering if dental crowns are right for you, it’s time to consult with an expert. It’s time to call Dr. Chapman in Bothell, WA, voted one of Seattle’s top dentists in 2018, for the 11th year in a row! Get started rebuilding your smile with dental crowns by calling today!