Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are a procedure that can restore your smile by integrating into your jawbone. Your dentist in Bothell, WA, Dr. Kimberly Chapman, is here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss may lead to serious issues like bone deterioration, teeth drifting and shifting, and your bite changing. When people are missing teeth, their face does not have the support it needs, which prematurely ages their appearance. Missing teeth also causes your chewing efficiency to be compromised and results in uneven forces being placed on other teeth, which can make them more likely to crack or fracture.
The dental implant procedure consists of the following:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the necessary area
- Your doctor inserts a titanium post (a biocompatible material that isn't rejected by the body's tissue) in your jawbone. This is like a very small screw.
- The doctor surgically closes the area and allows it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course (osseointegration is when the bone grows around the implant and locks it into your jawbone).
- When you return 3 to 6 months later, your Bothell dentist will re-open an area about the size of a match head, insert an abutment, and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Implants have a high success rate. You will never get a cavity on an implant.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Kimberly Chapman can help you out. Call her office, located in Bothell, WA, at (425) 488-6120 to make an appoint today!